Treat your best bud this cookie season with the Dog+Me Treats created by Citrine Kitchen exclusively for Awoo's Winter Solstice Box.
Enjoy the quick recipe that offers a plethora of healing benefits for both you and your sidekick. You can add/subtract whatever ingredients you may or may not have. In the words of the Chef herself, “Always remember cooking should be easy. Never a chore. Have fun!”
Makes around 20-30 treats depending on mold/cookie scoop.
- 1 small sweet potato (sub: 1/2 cup pumpkin puree) (Vitamins/minerals/fiber/antioxidants + + +)
- 1 apple (sub: 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce) (Vitamins/fiber + + + )
- 4 cups almond meal (sub: 3 cups oats / oat flour) (Antioxidants / protein/prebiotics)
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses (sub: maple) (Manganese for healthy bones)
- 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp ground ginger powder (Great for breath/digestion)
- 3 tbsp chia seeds (Fiber/protein/omega 3 fatty acids + + +)
- 2 tbsp Tocos (Vitamin E boost)** optional
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil for glaze. Optional. (Good fats for skin/coat)**
If making just for yourself/humans you love— and not to share with your four-legged friend: add a dash of Himalayan salt, 1-2 tsp vanilla and 2-3 tbsp of maple syrup — plus some adaptogens if you have some!
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Cut up and steam sweet potato and apple (removing the core/seeds first) until cooked
- Add sweet potato and apple to a food processor, along with all the remaining ingredients and mix into a cookie-batter. If it feels too liquid, slowly add in more almond meal/oats/oat flour or a combo of all.
- Roll out the batter onto a piece of parchment paper. (I like to sandwich the batter between two layers of parchment to make it easier to roll out)
- Cut into whatever shape you like, or use a 1oz cookie scoop.
- Bake on 350F for 15 minutes on each side.
- Allow to cool down, drizzle in a little coconut oil. (I added 1 tsp purple sweet potato powder for extra nutrients and a little pretty too!)
- Eat, share, & Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Side note: If you want to customize for your dog and yourself at the same time, but add in a few more extra yummy things for yourself — just split the batch into two using the basic ingredients for both: sweet potato, apple, almond meal/oats, chia seeds etc—— then in one batch add in some salt, maple, vanilla etc (to your personal taste). This batch you could use a cookie scoop for, and the other (doggy friend batch) you could use a shape mold. OR simply add an almond or something to the top of your treat batch so you know the difference. Easy!
These treats also make perfect healthy children's snack too— nom nom!