One of the best things about the holiday season is getting together with family and friends and enjoying delicious food. Just because our four-legged friends are not allowed to sit at the table doesn't mean they should be left out.
To keep pets entertained during the holiday season, Awoo has launched their brand new Lick Mats. They work to extend feeding time and are proven to have a calming effect on pets, which makes them ideal for the busy holiday season.
To help get you started, we’ve whipped up some tasty holiday recipes which are perfect for your SMOOSH Lick Mat.
This healthy Thanksgiving feast is a great way to use up leftover turkey and veg.
- 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup peas
- Peel the sweet potato and chop into cubes.
- Add to a pan of boiling water, and then let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrot and chop into small chunks. Boil in a saucepan for eight minutes, adding in the peas for the final couple of minutes.
- Once boiled, drain the water and mash the vegetables together until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Mix in with the turkey for a delicious Thanksgiving meal!
This healthy and nutritious meal is great for sensitive tummies.
- 1 cup pumpkin, puréed
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 120g rice, cooked
- Pop the pumpkin flesh in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl with the chicken, and mash together.
- Stir in the rice for a delicious doggy dinner.
This recipe combines all the classic holiday flavors for a super healthy meat-free meal.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon cranberries, dried
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds, roasted
- Chop the sweet potato into cubes and place in a pan of boiling water. Boil over a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and let the potato cool.
- Add the cranberries and coconut oil, and mash together.
- Spread onto your Lick Mat and top with a few pumpkin seeds for a mouthwatering meat-free meal.
Your pup will love this delicious twist on the classic holiday dessert.
- 1 cup pumpkin, puréed
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- Whipped cream to serve
- Blend the pumpkin, yogurt and apple sauce together until smooth.
- Spread the mixture on to your Lick Mat and top with a squirt of whipped cream.
This tasty recipe is really simple to make and will keep your pooch busy for a long time.
- 1/2 cup pumpkin, puréed
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (xylitol-free)
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Spread on your Lick Mat and pop in the freezer. Serve frozen for a long-lasting sweet treat.
Holiday foods to avoid
Your furbaby is sure to love their special homemade treats, but there are some holiday foods that are not safe for dogs or cats. These include:
- Any cooked bones including turkey bones
- Onion, Garlic, Chives
- Grapes and raisins
- Macadamia Nuts
- Salty Snack Foods ie. chips, pretzels, etc...
- Alcoholic beverages.. duh.